Sunday, 31 May 2015

DiddyBorg with joystick control

The Diddyborg is a great chunky Raspberry Pi robot and feels just right for arcade-style Joystick control.


I had a Zippyy ball handle joystick knocking around so decided to use another Raspberry Pi as a controller/relay. Each axis of the joystick closes a simple mechanical switch when the handle is moved in that direction, and this is detected using the GPIO pins.


All communications between the two Pis (the A+ in the Diddyborg and the B+ controller) are via wifi.

I used a Slice of Pi board for the connections between the GPIO pins on the controlling Pi and the Joystick. I also had plenty of space to add a bi-colour LED which I use to indicate when motion commands are actively being transmitted to the diddyborg.



The code that runs on the controlling Pi and the DiddyBorg Pi is available on GitHub.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


    edupdf.org

    ReplyDelete